Steve,

    Mack in the early 1970's I did something similar
to your six meter signal blanking the guys FM radio. I
was a novice, wn8pep, and was experimenting with old
computer circuit boards (RTL logic). The transistors
were silicon 2N706, and would often oscillate when
testing in my transistor tester using the long leaded
aligator clip option for in circuit testing. If I
wiggled or twisted the leads, the FM radio, or TV
would be disturbed.

    The oscillator discovery lead me into a series of
oscillators placed inside of tin cans with a variable
knob. Eventually I AM modulated the things (AM = ALL
modulation!). Once I blanked my mothers FM stereo, and
then I modulated my own program material. I was
blanking "elevator music" and replacing it with "hard
rock" rebroadcast from an am radio. My mom went
through fits about this!

    A few years later when WB8PEP, and in a college
dorm, I evolved this transmitter into a MOPA design
with the oscillator collector modulated. Since the PA
was class C, the final emission was mostly FM with a
little AM. For about 3 months in the winter-spring of
1975, Puterbaugh hall had a Saturday night broadcast
that was campus wide. This was WRFP, radio free
Puterbaugh. With a groundplane coat hanger antenna on
top of a 3 story building, and maybe 50mw of power, we
achieved full campus coverage with good quieting, and
decent quality. We had pre-recorded announcements, and
used the dorm main desk for requests. It was a lot of
fun!

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO