Hi Bret,
        A typical sound card will record in 16 bit number per sample and at
least 32K samples per second (I think that may be a conservative figure and
it might be 44K some odd samples per second).  At any rate the sampling is
faster than the bias frequency on tape.  And the 16 bit number means that
you can get have a max number of 65,535 (64K).  That is -32K down and +32K
up.  This means that each sample is represented as a number from - 32K to
+32K.  This is CD quality.  The trick is to record it as close to max input
as possible without any sample hitting the top or bottom number.
        What many folks do wrong is to record at too low of a level so that
their max number hits 10K or 20K.  They digitally "normalize" (Bringing the
largest number = to +-32K and setting all other numbers to the percentage of
increase).  This puts a much larger voltage gap between samples than was
there originally.  This can cause the lower level nuances to become fuzzy
sounding.  I have made a number of very good recordings using a 16 bit sound
card but it generally takes a couple of stabs at it to get the level set
just right and not over drive.
        The alternative is to get a 24 bit sound card where max number is
16,777, 216 (16.7M) and sample rate is 96K /sec.  With this sound card you
can record at 10% of the max and still use more numbers than a 16 bit card
would.  After normalizing you will want to convert to 16 bit or high quality
MP3 to be compatible for 16 bit card playback.

Hope this helps.
John