Magnetic hysteresis is a complicating factor.
When you apply a magnetic field to a magnetic
material, it is partially magnetized.  When you
saturate it, it is strongly magnetized.  When it
is magnetized, it opposes the application of a
reverse magnetic field, and it takes a certain
reverse applied field to overcome the residual
field in the material, and it takes a little more
reverse applied field to reverse the residual
field.  This causes a timing delay in the magnetic
transitions.  The amount of delay depends on the
applied signal level.

Even below saturation level, hysteresis causes
increasing distortion as level increased, because
the residual magnetization is greater at higher
levels of applied magnetic field.  At the same
time, the magnetic transfer of the core falls off
at high levels, introducing more distortion.  This
is why bigger iron and better iron are favored.
But the windings are important too.

Issues with transformer windings can really affect
high frequency response.  Magnetic coupling of
outer windings is not as good as the coupling of
the inner windings, and different "leakage"
inductance results.  This, and different amounts
of stray coupling between windings and to ground,
cause high frequency rolloff, and it causes
different windings to have slightly different
frequency responses and throughput time delays.

In class-B operation, these effects cause
distortion of high frequency signals.  Half of the
waveform is delayed more than the other half, and
you get asymmetrical crossover distortion. This
distortion sounds terrible, especially on
sibilants.  The two halves of the waveform may
have different amplitudes as well.

I have improved this distortion by adding some
capacitance to the faster side at the driver
level.  This tends to balance the delay and
eliminate this effect.  When a driver transformer
is used, reversal of the grid connections may help
by making the unequal delays of the driver cancel
those of the output stage.  The plate connections
to the driver transformer can also be reversed to
maintain the original audio polarization, if
necessary.

Eddy currents in the core absorb high frequency
energy.  This is why we 'laminate' the core,
slicing it into thin layers, and coating them with
insulating paint.  The thinner the layers, the
less high frequency eddy current loss there will
be.  This is why audio transformer laminations are
usually thinner than power transformer
laminations.

In analog magnetic recording, hysteresis causes a
huge crossover gap that must be compensated, or
unbelievable crossover distortion results.  Modern
analog recorders use about 100 KHz AC bias,
adjusted slightly higher than required for maximum
recorded output, to achieve minimum crossover
distortion. Typically this overbias reduces
sensitivity just a little bit at 1 KHz , about
0.25dB.  However, it reduces higher frequencies
more strongly, about 2dB at 10 KHz.  This is
equalized out during recording.

  Bacon, WA3WDR