-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of kenw2dtc
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:25 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Amplifier to use with my DX-60

Jim,

I guess my question is really:  Can anyone actually demonstrate a real AM
linear that can output 500 watts carrier and show 2000 watts PEP into a
dummy load with a nice looking audio sine wave on the scope, from the RF
pickup, while running 1500 watts DC input ?  If so, please send me an email
at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The reason I ask is:  A.  None of my amps has ever been that good and B.
Unfortunately, a number of people running AM linears do not have scopes and
if you tell them that a pair of whatever tubes can achieve a certain carrier
power, they will put the carrier to that level via dipping and peaking the
pi-net until their wattmeter reaches the specified power and talk.  In my
experience, by the time you heavily load the output to achieve the perfect
audio sine wave, your tuning controls are quite different than what is was
when you peaked everything and the efficiency is no longer as good as what
the calculations show.  On top of that most male voices have peaks that
should have an additional de-rating of output power.

So when someone asks about what kind of carrier power a certain pair of
tubes can put out in AM linear service, I really like to give a conservative
number, not the math numbers.

73,
Ken W2DTC

Ken Barber  Middletown, NJ