Have you ever needed a small piece of shielded cable for under
chassis work and didn't wont to cut a piece of that expensive RGxxx that is
real small and difficult to work with.  Well here is what I do.

        I'm a computer tech and occasionally have a need to do some cabling
work.  There is always a scrap or two of CAT5 cable here and there because
I'm a packrat as well.  If you pull the individual wires out you have some
nice small hookup wire and if you need to shield one just take a long piece
and wrap it around a short piece and you have shielding.

        Now, this is not a transmission line and should be grounded at one
end only.  It is just a static shield to reduce capacitive coupling into the
audio wire.  The same should be true if using coax for this purpose.  You
only ground one end.  I now use this home brewed stuff for about every
shielding application I need under an audio chassis.  And it makes for real
pretty colorful work.  You can wrap the solid wire on the outside or the
striped wire can be the shield.  This gives you 8 colors to work with. The
link below shows the orange pair used in this way.

 http://wa5bxo.shacknet.nu/HAMPICTURES/HBshieldedwire.jpg

John, WA5BXO