Thank you Brian for your correction.

Of course we need to achieve resonance for the antennas of solid state rigs.

And yes they are matching networks, however they do consume power that is wasted, especially at the end of a coax. However, they can be used at the feed point to much better effect.

I do honestly believe in using resonant antennas. Also, I did not take into consideration the fellows using open wire feed lines to baluns inside the antenna tuner.

I stand corrected.

However, I will always try to achieve resonance in my antennas as that is the best way in my mind to radiate the most signal.

I agree with you that there are some of us who have to resort to tuners for space reasons or other confinements.

Thanks for assisting me in getting a clearer point across to the group.

Yes, I do see the need for a matching transformer in some situations. I am currently running a tube station, so it can take SWR, but I wish to strive for the best match. And yes, the antenna tuner is a matching network consisting of coils and capacitors. Perhaps I chose the wrong analogy.

You have provided me with stuff to read up on in order to remind myself of lessons learned long ago. Thank you.

Best 73,

Alan

Brian Carling wrote:
I don't believe in them.

If you can't resonate your antenna, then what are you doing?

You ar etransmitting some energy and you are getting a whole lot of reflected power that is wasted. You might also be cutting
back a lot of your power in the final RF amplifier of a modern rig.

If you use a tuner, you are creating a voltage divider effect that creates a reactive load in your shack, to ground that makes your antenna "feed line + radiating elements".

Maybe - what if the tuner is outside at the base of the antenna?
Over the years, the importance of having at least a 2:1 match with at least 1.5:1 some where in the the antenna design.

Huh?

Over the years many of us have transmitted with a 3:1 SWR and no tuner and made plenty of contacts - tube finals of course!

Proper antenna design for your favorite frequencies is the best choice.

But some of us can't always get what we want. When you MUST
compromise, there is a LOT of good that can be said about a matching network for one's antenna. It is usually an impedance transformer rather than a "voltage divider."

I currently use a multi-element dipole to cover 80,40,20,15 and 10 meters.

Just like microphones in the sound work I help out with at church. If they are not singing into the mic, I cannot "fix it" without creating a gain structure that is sucking up to feed back"

Different entirely from an antenna tuner.
You need to fix your problems at the source.

The antenna is the load.

I our cases, it is resonance of your antenna, by some means.

Even my hamstick on my jeep

I have had GREAT success RESONATING antennas with a matching network. I don't understand why anyone would "not believe in" something when they are so effective.