Rick,

    The ferroresonant transformer is not really
resonant at all since the winding that feeds the
capacitor is wrapped around a portion of the core
that is a saturable reactor. Resonance and saturable
reactors don't really go together, but in this case we
do have circulating energy in a ferroresonant
transformer which consumes about 20% of the VA rating
of the device. So for a 1 KVA ferroresonant
transformer the power draw when unloaded may be about
200 watts, and this is pretty much a constant.
Therefore with a 1 KVA load, the power input would be
1.2 kva. Every line cycle runs the core into
saturation, and this creates eddie core losses, heat,
buzz, and a quasi square wave output. The output is
not a sine wave unless yours has a harmonic filter.
Therefore a true RMS meter is needed to accurately
measure the AC voltage.

These are really neat devices using very old
technology.

Jim
JKO