Take a look here may give some insight as to what conditions were occurring.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tr_map/archive/6eam.jpg

73 SD

To: <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:06 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Interesting FM Bcast Propagation

Hello,
I was listening to my usual station 93.9 North Hampton MA yesterday, ( Friday), which is about 50 miles or so east over the mountain when it faded out and was replaced by 93.7 from Albany NY about 40 miles west over another mountain. This reception was swinging between the two stations in a similar fashion to AM QSB but without the phasing for several hours in the afternoon. Tuning in between the frequencies yielded the usual distortion and if I tuned to the 93.7 station it was receiving the same way with the cross fade between the two stations perfect. Now the signals from both stations are normally just at or below the stereo detection point using an SAE 8000 analog tuner. But without the shifting. Antenna is a normal 300 ohm inside FM balanced dipole broadside E/W. I did fire up a wide band receiver to look at the IF spectrum but the signals were so close to the noise floor that any measurements were not possible, although enough of the levels were visible to see the see-saw strength between the two stations. There is a 1000 ft+ N/S mountain ridge immediate west and another one to the east about 5 miles.

This behavior has been heard several times especially when there are significant temperature gradients low in the atmosphere. I would suspect that however the reflective or ducting effect is producing this could be visualized as similar to the waves on the surface of a pond reflecting light at a slow rate. IE, consistent, slow ripples over a thermal reflective layer of the ionosphere. I am just surprised at the short distance and would think that there would be technique to take measurements of the distance involved and determine the actual height of the reflective layer.

Just an interesting observation of propagation i had not observed before moving here to MA.

Has anyone here in the NE ever noticed similar propagation with 6 or 2 mtrs?

Bill KB3DKS/1