On Behalf Of Rick Brashear
owever, I find
now that the variable capacitor on the receive VFO is having turning
problems.  It's one of those geared internally capacitors with one shaft
inside another one.  I guess the friction clutch or whatever makes those
things tick is worn out or maybe oily. Does anyone have a solution for
such a problem, other than replacing it?

Thanks,
Rick/K5IZ

Rick,

   Plug in a 8.4 Mhz crystal!
Also, maybe the reduction drive Brian AF4K has for sale will somehow work in
the G50 without major surgery. I find that the VFO in my G-50 is too
unstable even for AM. I use a crystal instead. The same is true on my Gonset
G-76.

Regards,
Jim
JKO