I am not Don, but since he hasn't answered, I remember he found a filter at
some surplus place in the Washington, D.C area back several years ago. Seems like the cutoff was 3400 Hz on the nose. Not a very expensive part then, but
IIRC fron his post of this last year, there are unobtainum now.
Joe W4AAB

That is correct. I found the filter in 1973. I have seen ones similar to it, but always with a different cutoff frequency.

But I think there are circuits available today for simple solid state active filters that would be just as good.

I preceed the filter with a pre-emphasis circuit that begins a presence rise at about 800~, and steadily rises up to about 8 dB at 3000~, and then cuts off sharply at 3400~.

Two microphones are used, in phase and mixed together. An electrovoice dynamic with crapped out high frequency response is used with a D-104, using a homebrew two-channel audio mixer with the pre-emphasis curve on the D-104.

I paid only a few bucks for that filter in Washington DC. If I had known how good it was, I would have bought every one they had. I think they had about half a dozen in stock.

I have a second filter with about a 5000~ cutoff, much more gradual, that in switchable with the 3400~ one. I use it when the band is less crowded and the other person can open up the selectivity.

Don k4kyv