Jim, you and I are on the same track here.  Many folks make the
assumption the final tubes in a class C circuit are what determines the
power. I look at it from the other end, in that it is the voltage and
handle the switching and plate dissipation.

        So it would seem that if you replace the 6146 with a 2E26 then in
order to get the proper operating parameter for the 2E26 one would need to
reduce the loading.  So why not just reduce the loading on the 6146?

        To me, it is like replacing my 250th with a 100th and then being
forced to reduce the loading to keep the tube in the proper operating
parameters for efficiency.  Where as if I had a rig designed for a 100th and
then plugged in a 250th instead all plate parameters could remain the same.

        It would be interesting, if some one wanted to try it, that a DX100
using a pair of 6146s could be tuned to 100 watts output and then one of the
6146 removed and the user would have to reduce the loading in order to keep
the remaining 6146 from meltdown.  And if the reduction in load was made to
the point that the 6146 was drawing 1/2 of the plate current and output was
50 watts or less then plugging in the next 6146 would not increase the power
unless the load was increased again.  At least that is my theory!

        I wonder if any one has tried the ultra efficient class C circuit
that can achieve 90% efficiency.  It involves, 3rd harmonic shaping circuits
in the grid tank, and 3rd harmonic traps in the plate.  RCA built a
broadcast transmitter using this design. The theory is that you square up
the input wave form so as to switch the tube on and off.  The third harmonic
squaring of the input wave causes this switching time to shorten up a lot.
The 3rd harmonic trap in the plate tank represents a high Z to the third
harmonic and passes the fundamental to the main tank and load circuit.
Using this circuit a single 6146 could put out 90 watts with 100 watts input
and run cooler than the pair in the DX100.  It might not be quite this good
since it is a tetrode with an indirectly heated cathode.

John, WA5BXO