My biggest concern is that if there is a big influx of upgrades and newcomers to the no-code amateur world, how long before the phone bands once again become congested to the point that, even with all the expanded phone bands, there will be renewed calls to eliminate AM to make room for more appliance operators to operate SSB.

But I suspect there will be an initial surge of upgrades and a few newcomers, then things will settle back to normal, with continued concern about the lack of new blood in our "dying hobby." Remember, the renewable Novice, Novice enhancement, no-code Tech, and 5 wpm General/Extra didn't have the expected impact.

But one possibility is that the newcomers, if there are any, will immediately be turned off by the scratchy, quacky sound of SSB and find broadcast quality AM signals more to their liking.

Don K4KYV