On Mon, 25 Dec 2006, Jack Schmidling wrote:

It will no doubt come as a surprise but my uncle Gilbert Schmidling invented not only the fluorescent light

   From the Web, but this info is available everywhere:

"History:

The earliest ancestor of the fluorescent lamp is probably the device by Heinrich Geissler who, in 1856, obtained a bluish glow from a gas which was sealed in a tube and excited with an induction coil.

At the 1893 World's Fair, the World Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois displayed Nikola Tesla's fluorescent lights.

In 1894, D. McFarlane Moore created the Moore lamp, a commercial gas discharge lamp meant to compete with the incandescent light bulb of his former boss Thomas Edison. The gases used were nitrogen and carbon dioxide emitting respectively pink and white light, and had moderate success.

In 1901, Peter Cooper Hewitt demonstrated the mercury-vapor lamp, which emitted light of a blue-green color, and thus was unfit for most practical purposes. It was, however, very close to the modern design, and had much higher efficiency than incandescent lamps.

In 1926, Edmund Germer and coworkers proposed to increase the operating pressure within the tube and to coat the tube with fluorescent powder which converts ultraviolet light emitted by an excited plasma into more uniformly white-colored light. Germer is today recognized as the inventor of the fluorescent lamp.

General Electric later bought Germer's patent and under the direction of George E. Inman brought the fluorescent lamp to wide commercial use by 1938."

but also the first working cathode ray tube usable for TV.

  Hmmmm... NOT Braun, Thomson, Zworykin, Farnsworth...  but Schmidling?

25 years of on-again, off-again research into the physics, technology, principles and practice of thermioninc devices of all types, I must confess that I have somehow overlooked your citation, Jack.

I'm looking forward to your info - there seems to be a possible lack in my own rather extensive collection of materials, books, papers and publications on this subject, some reaching back now over a hundred years....

I have some really neat old magazine articles and photos that I will put up to support this seemingly preposterous notion.

  I must say that the word 'preposterous' occured to me, as well...

Cheers and Best of the Season!

John
KB6SCO
DM09fg