Bob,
Not sure how it is there, but in the past, 40 meters
was great to operate on in the daytime on weekends.
I would spend winter weekend mornings on 40, you could very often
get by with 25 watts, 100 watts was a strong station!

Short wave broadcast did not start till about 2 or 3pm, just
in time to start cooking dinner!

Of late, I suspect the sunspot cycle has eaten 40 meters in the
daytime, at night there seems to be plenty of CW.

I never actually tried 40 AM at night as it was filled up
with broadcast, I wonder what kind of skip you would have...

You might just have to wait, but when it comes around again,
your indoor antenna and some little rig may work great on 40.

Brett
N2DTS