On 4/6/07, Geoff/W5OMR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> If a transmitter transmits both
> sidebands it is DSB for Double Side Band...unless it also wastes time
> with the carrier then it is AM.

Uh... 'wastes time with the carrier'?

You sure you're in the right group?

Yes, this is the right group.  But if we are discussing efficiency
there is no doubt that SSB is more efficient, thus "waste time with
the carrier.".  If we are talking audio quality, the two are equal if
properly tuned, BUT...that doesn't keep me from operating AM nor
should it require I leave a list dedicated to AM.  BUT we have to also
be dedicated to truth and  some of the noise I hear knocking SSB seems
to think this is religion instead of science.  If it were religion I
would have to pick one, but its science so I think I can pick "all of
the above"  And be honest about the pros and cons.  And pointing out
that DSB is not SSB is not anti AM

AM has such beautiful circuitry in its simplicity.  The old equipment
(most AM is old unless its home brew) is classic and beautiful to look
at and simple to operate.  Even most of the AM gear that IS home
brewed is done with tubes because of the home brewers dedication to
authenticity and tubes are awesome.  I have a 2 tube 4-1000A linear
that will push AM or SSB so there is a crossover.

AND, I still love the S-Line as much as the T-50.  It ain't
religion!!! I don't have to pick just one!

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."