John,

I guess "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. I also
have dismantled an RA1000, and remain impressed to
this day, some 15 years later, at the "overbuilt"
construction you mentioned.

Yes, there is no observation window for the quad of
833A as with other transmitters of this vintage, and
yes, the 2300 pounds is difficult in a residential
setting, and okay, I'll even concede that the
tar-filled transformers make a mess.

But the modulation transformer, choke and plate iron
are probably the most substantial in the power class,
and across all time frames.  Amazing.

Those wishing to see what we are talking about please
visit:

http://www.sbe124.org/old_xmtr_rescue/our_old_xmtr.html

Paul/VJB