Bob Macklin wrote:
So why aren't the SSB operators taking advantage of the new space below
3700?

I don't know about the Pacific NW but there is lots of SSB activity below 3700 in 4 land. Several moderate sized rag chew groups as well as the occasional SSB CQ resulting in "traditional" chat-with-a-stranger QSOs.

For the most part it seems the SSB ops and AM ops below 3700 coexist peacefully. There is almost always enough space for coexistence, when cooler heads can prevail.

I operate below 3700 90% of the time. Not because of Extra class snobbishness, but because most of my radio pals are down there. When I get another old transmitter going I will operate AM down there as well.

73 - Theo K4MO

... who operates on any freq or mode my license permits. Haven't seen a license yet that said AMer or SSBer on it ......