There is no reason the Butternut won't work Rick, however it will be band narrow. Put as many radials under it as possible and see what happens. 4 is very marginal, but will work, 8 is just a bit better, 16 is getting better, 32 is adequate and 64 is OK.

The Hytower is a good antenna too, but will need the radials, especially on 160, to work well. I have a friend up in Mountain Home, AR that uses one on 160 with 16 radials through a Johnson 500 and I hear him fine. As you add radials, you affect impedance and efficiency.

According to the specs:
     AV-18HT Specifications
     Electrical Specifications
Bands 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 Meters (optional mod for 160 Meters)
     Max Power  1500 Watts PEP
     Input Connector  SO-239
     Mechanical Specifications
     Height  53 feet
     Weight  114 pounds
     Wind Survival  75 MPH
     Recommended Mast Size  n/a

It handles 1500 PEP.
73
Jim/W5JO

It seems this was discussed a while back, but I need some updated info. Has anyone used a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical on 160 meter AM? I have tried every way in the world to come up with some kind of wire for 160, but I simply don't have the room. I have a Hy-Tower vertical that is still in the crate and I really need to get it up. I have the optional 160 meter coil, but according to the manual it is not supposed to be used with more than 150 watt carrier (300 PEP) or it will arc. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if there is something that can be done to increase the power handling capability? My lack of a decent antenna is my main reason for not being able to get on the air with most of you guys. I am using a Butternut 40/80 vertical with the 160 meter coil option and I can run 375 watts of carrier without any fireworks. However, I can only talk to a very small portion of the stations I can hear (on any band) in the area or anywhere as far as that goes. Any help or advice on the HY-Tower would sure
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick/K5IZ