#4 wire would be considerable overkill in most installation situations, but
if it was a long run, in a hot environment, using old style wire, maybe in
conduit, then it probably made more sense.

I used a standard 10/3 molded electric dryer cord exiting through a panel
bushing that already existed about halfway up the left rear of my BC-1T.
Inside
the rig the primary wiring is #10 as well.  The rig is sitting right next to
the distribution panel and the outlet is mounted on the side of the box with
#10 to the breaker.  You can see it in this photo pretty well...
http://www.wd8das.net/Gates/restored1.jpg

I do have a problem with the circuit breaker tripping off once in awhile when
I key the rig.  Transmitters of this sort with no step-start were intended
for time-delay fuse protection, not breakers.  So far I haven't found a breaker
with a time-delay action for this domestic panel, so I think I need to
consider step-start in the power supply.

Inside the rig there are two such fuses for additional protection.

Steve WD8DAS