I remember being amazed as a 10 year-old when a family CB friend changed
from the stock Johnson hand mic to a non-amplified Turner desk mic on his
Messenger 2.

The fidelity improvement was incredible.

So, install your favorite mic connector. Then, follow your ears and your
instincts. If you want to keep the physical appearance unaltered, just put
the connector on a pig tail.

I have two Messenger 1 units awaiting restoration myself. At least one of
them will end up on 10 meters.

The other is so dirty that it may end up as the poster child for a cleaning
product.

Mike Duke, K5XU