Ok John thanks for the advice. That was the the info that I needed. I gues I will have to take out the PTO and make the adjustment. Thanks John

Joe KK4TR

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lawson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] R 388

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, kk4tr wrote:

THe problem is the band spread seems to be too wide on all bands and it has been this way all the time.

By "change the slide rule dial" tdo you mean that you are adjusting the 'ZERO" screw, or are you actually changing the location of the pointer along the dial cord?

At any rate, I would suggest a bit of 'triage': Remove the bottom cover of your rig, go to the place in your schematics where it shows the PTO injection point ( I'm on business travel and can't recall the VT-number of the tube). Using a known-accurate 5-digit frequency meter, connect to that point, to observe the output frequency of the PTO. I stress that the freq meter must have sufficient digits to read megahertz to 10 cycles, and of known accuracy.

Find a strong WWV signal, 2.5, 5, or 10 Mhtz, and set the dials mechanically so that they read properly - ie. if you're centered up on WWV at 10 Mhtz, the slide rule should be on '10' and the KHtz dial on 0'.

Now roll down to the low end of the dial, go to '0' on the KHtz knob at the exact end of the slide rule - note the frequency of the PTO. Roll up to the top end of the dial, be sure the Khtz knob is on '0', and measure the PTO frequency at this point.

This will tell you immediately if the PTO frequency span is too narrow, as I suspect it is. If it is grossly 'narrow, it is likely that you will need to R&R the PTO for further work... the crystal calibrator, BTW, is it's own signal source and is independent of the PTO. The PTO is the only source for frequencies for tuning in the R-388.

But first collect the 'real' data so you can make that determination. Also, it should be a matter of course that you check the power supply voltages to be sure they're in tolerance.

And for sure let's keep this on the List - you never can tell when someone else might be having the same problem and need the exact info/experience that you're going to dig up. A lot of my BA Radio Lore came from exactly this kind of 'mail copying', if yahknowhuttamean...

  I imagine others will add to this, suggest other ideas, etc.

  Cheers

John

KB6SCO