> > A great pity that's no longer true to-day.  Thanks to commercial
> interests
> > and the instant gratification "gimme" attitude of modern society,
> mainstream
> > ham radio has declined into a "consumer" activity, that appeals largely to
>
> > retirees with disposable income.

In the past year or so I noted an editorial in QST all about the emotional
glories of buying a brand-new rig, and in nearly every issue of WorldRadio
there
is some similar orgasmic article on a store-boughten raydeeoh, or comments on
how the only realm of ham experimentation is antennas, or the like.

I've ...

1. Bought new gear,
2. Bought used gear that needed fixing or restoration,
3. Built kits,  and
4. Built complete rigs from scratch.

For me, the personal satisfaction increases as you go through that list...

Steve WD8DAS