Hi Todd,

Yesterday I had the dubious pleasure(?) of visiting the "...big smoke" here
that calls itself Toronto --- right in the bowels of the city, downtown...

I don't know if it was accrued carelessness on the part of the big city
delivery guy that my wife & I just happened to see, or something atypical of
ALL courier / delivery folks...but we're waiting to drive around this big
cube truck that's double-parked, back door hauled in full up position, with
the guy standing inside, some 4-feet(?) above the street...

He swings around with a large cadboard carton, waist height, then simply
drops it to the asphalt at that height. Bombs away!

I remarked to my wife that I hoped the containers never had anything like
delicate bone china, etc. inside...

Now, I realize that commercial carriers stipulate that anything & everything
you ship with them is supposed to withstand a drop from a height of, what
was it now, six feet...? But how realistic is that, and why don't these
people go the extra distance and simply "...handle with care"...? Heaven
knows they charge enough.

When I worked for one of the Big 3 national automobile manufacturers, our
contracts with the different carriers were VERY explicit & detailed as to
just how much abuse our cars were allowed to be subjected to in transit. Why
can't we, as individual consumers, expect the same...?

It'd serve them all right to get the exclusive contract to deliver nitro
glycerin for some chemiical outfit, wouldn't it...?! It'd be like the Darwin
effect, a culling of the ranks --- only the kind & gentle would survive!
:>)

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ