First let me say that I'm a Heathkit fan and run a DX-100. Due to wanting to
primarily use Heathkit products I paired the RX-1 Mohawk as my receiver of
choice for AM. Many will tell you it has technical deficiencies but it matches
my DX-100 with respect to band coverage. They both cover 160-10 meters where as
the physically matching transmitter for the RX-1 is the TX-1 but the TX-1 does
not cover 160, which is strange. The biggest fault of the RX-1 is it's drift
but on AM which it is a lot less bothersome than on SSB. For about 2 hours the
radio drifts frequency quite a bit. With AM you can drift a fair amount and
still read the signal but with SSB your hand is always on the dial trying to
keep Donald Duck out of your radio. There is a process detailed in a series of
articles in ER Magazine on how to minimize the drift but it's too much of a
bother for me. I guess it's like driving a Studebaker...you do it because you
want to.

73,
Tom K3TVC