Like a lot of things in amateur radio, this old tradition has no real
value in contesting. And, in contests where a signal report is still
required, whether you say 5-9, 599, 4-5, or 6-9, the challenge of
"getting the message through" hasn't been removed. As I said in a
required exhange, my required exchange; Done! Next contact, etc.

Pete, wa2cwa