On this whole digital stuff... I guess I'm confused as to how much spectrum we're talking about.

I know that TV stations have to go from Analog to digital by 2009. There is going to be -megacycles- of space/spectrum available up from 60MHz thru nearly 1GHz.

The spectral footprint of the analog station is going to be reduced from 6MHz down to around 200kc... and there are already some stations in San Antonio that are broadcasting in Digital, with channels like (channel 4 being the 'main') 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc...

So, while Video is rather 'large' as far as the spectral footprint, in analog mode, we're reducing, by going to a Digital format, the spectral footprint by 5.8MHz.

How much wider would a digital AUDIO signal on the ham bands be compared to SSB? Let's say we're not going to send/receive images... that brings the digital size down considerably. And, other digital items like PSK31 requiring less and less power to run.
questions, questions, questions...

if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR