From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:29 AM
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [AMRadio] Re: IARU bandplan

Various wrote:

>What chart are you looking at?? On 40 meters,
>CW is allowed from 7000 to 7300 KHz
and
>Steve - Please show me where it states this.

I am referring to the new IARU Region 2 bandplan section for 40m.  I should
not have used the word "allowed" - sorry about that, that was too strong.
But
my point is that the bandplan expects CW to happen in the lower 30 kHz of
40m,
rather than the lower 150 kHz as has been the case for some time.

Perhaps my posts on this topic are unwelcome - I certainly have received a
lot of hate-mail and name-calling off-list about it.  I guess I haven't
learned
- I keep getting surprised by hams.  I keep mistakenly thinking they are all

my friends, or at least open to a discussion.

I apologize if my concern about this has splashed over onto those who don't
care, or support the bandplan.  I thought it was important enough have a
discussion about it before it happens, especially here on a couple mailing
lists for
people interested in vintage equipment and modes.

I certainly hope it comes to nothing.  But I suspect this bandplan will
become a source of friction and upset among hams in the years to come.

One final point:  Compare the old IARU Region 2 bandplan from 1988

http://www.iaru-regionii.org/Region_2_HF_Band_Plan.html

to the new one

http://www.iaru-regionii.org/Region_2_MF__HF_Bandplan_Annex__1_2008.pdf

and notice how the current one matches much better how we use the bands now,

and how the new one is very different.

Steve WD8DAS