-----Original Message-----

Have owned and used an Apache, and several DX-100Bs. Currently got a DX-100 and
a DX-60 with the matching VFO.

I wouldn't take another Apache as a gift...  unless I had need for PARTS and
IRON
for restoring a DX-100!   <<GRIN>>

Maybe it was just MY Apache, and not the breed in general...  but that fancy VFO
dial and drive mechanism drove me absolutely batty. The damned thing kept
becoming
unstrung, and that necessitated removing the front panel to put it all back
together.

After about the fifth restringing job, I got so disgusted I just GAVE THE
DAMNED THING
AWAY to a buddy who had a DX-100 with a cooked plate transformer. I had the
satisfaction
of watching the Transmitter From Hell getting DISEMBOWELED to put him on 160
AM!   ;o)

Other than that...  I'd have to say the DX-100B is the best of the lot. The
straight
DX-100 has an Achilles Heel; the PA loading capacitor network. A high VSWR will
blow
the hell out of the fixed padders, and they aren't standard caps, so
replacement is a
problem. At one point Heathkit sold a kit that would convert the DX-100 loading
caps
to the 3 section broadcast band receiver variable that they used in the DX-100B.

Mr. T., W9LBB