Interesting discussion!

I've operated AM for 20 yrs or so, but having done so, never felt any
obligation to ONLY operate AM.  For the last 5 years I've been doing a LOT of
CW work, and really enjoying it.  Trying to get my code speed up has really
been a fun challenge.

I've also dabbled in QRP, QRO, contesting, vintage SSB, etc etc.... but really
enjoy restoring and operating AM.

I think one of the things that makes Ham Radio such a durable hobby, is the
ability to swap in and out of the various facets/modes/activities .... all of
it still being ham radio.

I'll probably always enjoy fixing up  Yet Another Old Radio, but I certainly
dont feel "beholden" to AM only operations.

73
John K5MO