On Nov 25, 2007 2:07 PM, jeremy-ca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I refer to them as FedWrex. Ive pretty much stopped Ebay buying from sellers
> that insist on using them.
>
> The last one was a mint 1928 Philco 511 radio and speaker. Both double
> boxed. The radio got dented and the speaker totally destroyed.
>
> Still fighting for payment.

Not sure if I ever posted the update for my FedEx claim on the KW-1
mod iron, but they did finally pay up. Well, $473 and change, the
price I provided from Dahl's most recent (2004) online catalog plus
shipping apparently. They managed to break one of the cast iron frames
from severe mishandling, over the short 200-300 mile distance between
Maine and Vermont. On an package of approximately 35-40 lbs! Seems the
only holdup was getting some kind of 'statement of value' for the
item, before they would pay out what was insured for (or at least,
close to it).

Lessons learned: proper, appropriate, extra packaging is not enough.
Over-over packing can't hurt, but no guarantees. When it's your turn,
it's your turn.

They have claims adjusters who (in my opinion) want to see just how
determined you are to press your claim. If 50% of the people get
discouraged, that saves them a lot of $. Be persistent, get your ducks
in a row, keep good records of all contacts.

Lastly, be aware that when you provide a value with documentation,
this is likely what they will go by. If your figure is less than the
insured amount, tough luck. I could only find one source, fortunately
it was close to the insured value.

Hauled the transformer along on a recent trip to pick up a transmitter
in north central Maine, stopped by WZ1M's place with it. Hypot testing
showed the windings are still good, no shorts or other internal
damage. Gary removed the potting around the frame and we 'persuaded'
it off the core, now I need to get it welded and re-installed.

I've never had any problems shipping with UPS, but it's clear now that
luck plays a role along with good packing.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ