I would think that most of us ain't no more spring chicken (rosters) anymore, so I though I would ask this in light of some of the serious exchanges that I've read/deleted over the AM band plan ala IRAU/ARRL recently. Question: What was your favorite April QST April Fool's article, or one that could have qualified?

I remember from years past "The Vertical Beer Can Special" and also the ham who wrote the article on the compact antenna mounted atop the roof of his high rise New York apartment building with the radiating element being a red light bulb with comments on all those he contacted on the bands using the antenna aks dummy load. Of personal note, I remember years ago when we were having a big family/friend cookout in my backyard with all the young family/children energies going on, I tried to assemble a beer can vertical or at least get all the element parts collected. You can imagine the rest of the story with all the other young non-ham fathers attempting to assist me in advice and physical efforts. Did we succeed ? Well I'll say this. We did get the antenna high enough to resonate on 6 meters.... then we just kind of lost interest in the vertical extension element assembly for some reason as each can was becoming more difficult to 'solder' to the next, :-) then all of us going back to play with the kids and eat more hamburgers and watermelon even though we had plenty of aluminum raw materials left over to probably make a 160 meter vertical. Remember those times?

Have happy thoughts this coming month with you families as they are (the years) each numbered.
Merry Christmas

Robert W4RL Remember, our hobby is not our life, it's just a hobby to help us extend our life.