Back when I was a a novice, and not old enough to buy beer, I built the
forty meter version out of tin down spout. Mounted the thing on the garage
roof, and ran the support/radials to the corners. Worked all states after
school evenings on CW as a highschool Junior. I might mention the coil
and cap arrangement suggested by W2OY, helped greatly in getting the
thing to take power on 40. Man it worked great, those were wonder filled
times.

Jim WB2FCN

I don't know why you wouldn't have used tin down spout. That beer can business has to be one of the silliest ham radio ideas anyone has EVER thought of. That's why I always figured it was a joke, even if the article didn't appear in the April issue. Downspout would have been about as cheap as the solder it took to attach all those cans to each other, and it certainly took a lot less work.

I remember hearing W2OY when he was on the air. Dick, W2UJR(SK) wrote up a story published in The AM Press/Exchange, about his friendship as a JN with Mike. According to Dick, many of Mike's eccentricities were a big put-on, and actually he was a nice guy in real life. He just got a big kick out of playing his over-the-air persona.

Don k4kyv