From: "D. Chester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:02 AM
Subject: [AMRadio] Re: RCA 1:1 mod xfmr

The RCA 1:1 ratio mod xfmr @ 5500 was made for liberty ship transmitters
during WW2.  It was not designed for voice, but for MCW, so it was meant for
running a single tone, and is not  high-fidelity.  That's why its audio
quality is on par with the  lowest cost "ham radio quality" modulation
transformers, nowhere as good as RCA broadcast modulation transformers.  The
quality  is quite acceptable if you are not looking for hi-fi audio.  With
the 1:1 ratio, you should be able to get incredible positive peaks.  The
properties of the transformer, as listed on the name plate, do not make
sense if you calculate using ohm's law, that is, current through the
secondary vs total power rating vs nominal impedance values.

Don k4kyv