For what it's worth, there's a short story in, of all places, CQ Magazine this
month written by yours truly that is dedicated, in part, to all of those who
served in WWII. I hadn't seen many Christmas stories in the ham mags for a
while and missed them. "Well," I said to myself, "if you miss them so much,
write one yourself." So, I did. Unlike my professinal papres, this one is an
intentional work of fiction, but contains enough historically accurate detail
to be plausible. It also contains elements of stories my Dad told me over the
years about his service in WWII in the USAAF communications service.

Initially trained a a ball turret gunner in heavy bombers (and good enough to
earn medals for marksmanship), his entire class was reassigned to other duties
when someone, somewhere, decided that more gunners were not currently needed.
When the the AAF found out he was a BC engineer and a ham, he was reassigned to
radio-related duties. He ultimately was placed in charge of a LORAN slave
station on Padre Is., long before it became a popular tourist destination.

Being the son of one of these guys, I'll do my best to see that they, and the
men and women of their generation, aren't forgotten.

Kim Elmore, N5OP