The project to restore my old Collins 75A--2 receiver has gone very well. After replacing the paper/wax caps, the filter caps, checking and replacing the weak tubes, cleaning the sockets and controls, and replacing quite a few failed (due to corrosion) front end trimmer capacitors, and a "by-the-book" alignment, the unit meets or exceeds original specs.

The widest bandwidth is 4 kHz (crystal filter out, just the tuned circuits in the IF stages) and I would like to add the capability for a wider choice for Hi-Fi AM reception. Anyone know of any articles on such a modification? Maybe in the context of "updating" the 75A-2 or 3 to mechanical filters? Or have any of your own ideas?

I'm thinking perhaps I could replace the back-to-back IF transformers with a 10 kHz BW 455 kHz ceramic filter I have here, but I'm not sure about the issues of impedance matching into and out of the filter, which was designed for low-Z solid-state circuits I'm sure. Or maybe I could increase the values of the small caps coupling the top of the primaries to the top of the secondaries. But that would be hard to switch in/out.

A block diagram of the 75A-2 can be seen at

http://www.wd8das.net/Collins/75A-2blockDia.pdf

and a schematic is posted at

http://www.wd8das.net/Collins/75A-2schematic.pdf

Thanks...