From the ARRL Letter:

- - - - - - -

ARRL BOARD AUTHORIZES NEW SECTION POSITIONS, ADOPTS BUDGET, MORE, AT ANNUAL MEETING

The ARRL Board of Directors held its first 2008 meeting in Houston,Texas on January 18-19...

All ARRL officers were re-elected without opposition...

To address members' concerns arising from a new IARU Region 2 HF band plan <http://www.iaru-r2.org/wp-content/uploads/region-2-mf-hf-bandplan-e.pdf> , the Board affirmed its support for the retention of Double-Sideband AM as a permitted emission in the Amateur Radio Service and reaffirmed, without change, the 160 meter band plan <http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html#160m> as previously adopted by the Board in July 2001.

Steve WD8DAS

Doubletalk. All I see is "Other Wideband Modes", and "reaffirmed without change".

Until they SPECIFICALLY endorse "double sideband amplitude modulated voice, with or without carrier", I don't believe a word the ARRL says on the subject. Without that specificity, these folks can turn on AM
the first time they think they can get away with it.

Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

Mr. T., W9LBB