Hi JT,

This may not exactly fit the specifics of your needs or requirements, but
for my money, one of THE best tube-type receivers (and it was designed &
built near the zenith of the vacuum tube era) is the R-4 series from
Drake...

They are still readily available, AND at good prices --- especially the
series preceding the "C" version (which apparently needs a lot of
"after-market" hot-rodding anyway to make it really come alive, anyway)....

Now, if you want something without 160-meters --- but at HALF the price of
an R-4 --- get yourself a decent Heathkit SB-301.

Two caveats: if you want 160 with the R-4, you'll need a 12.6-MHz
crystal...and if you want AM with the SB-301, you'll need an AM IF filter
(the SB-310 wider unit preferred in this application).

My $0.02 worth, anyway...

Either way, you'll get a classic, hollow-state receiver, that is readily
repairable by yourself, that's stable, sensitive, and flexible...AND it
won't cost you an arm & a leg, either!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ