Mike Duke, K5XU wrote:
Jeff,

The Tom that I'm thinking of was in Langtree, TX.

Sounds right. The A A 5 what ever that I was thinking of was in Arkansas. I met him at the Clairmore, OK hamfest back in about 2001 or 2002. I've got a picture of he and I someone on this network of computers but with nearly a terra byte of total storage space on the lan it's hard to locate things. I need to get better organized :-)

He talked with W5MEU a lot, and with Vern, Wb0SUJ, on 1985.

That's a project I want to try, but can't get too excited about due to the lack of real estate. I've always wanted to have a decent station setup here for one sixty. I know that John talked regularly with Fred, W5JKD (Jack, King and a Deuce) up in Priddy, Texas. Jerry, N5CBW is very near where Fred's QTH was, and reported a couple of days ago that there's now not even any reference of a building that was on that property. JKD Fred, CBW Jerry and Ozona Bob, W5PYT were related (cousins, I believe) to each other.

Some of the last AM contacts made by Alton, W5FAP, were also on 7160.

W5 Fried Apple Pie. Ol' Alton has only been gone now for about a year. He was 99 years and 6, or 8 months, when he passed. Along in about 1999 or 2000, Jeff/N5ECP, John/WA5BXO, Roy/W5MRY, Otis/K5SWK, Geoff/KA5THB, Yogie/KC5MIP, Alton/W5FAP, Bill/N5XPZ and a couple of others all gathered up in San Antonio and went to visit John/W5MEU after he was relegated to an 'assisted living' house on the North side of San Antonio. At that time, I believe it was John/BXO that asked Alton how old he was, then. Alton said "I'm Ninety Two years Young!" and with out grabbing the arms of the chair, stood straight up, and walked down the hallway as if he was in his mid 30's. Alton kept himself in pretty good shape, physically.

I also remember, back in the 'glory days' of 7.160, when brother Noel/W5FAO was on the air in Waco, Mil/K5LKM was in Columbus and Ken Smith, W5FLV was on the air in Bellaire, TX. Back then, Bellaire was South and East of Houston, between downtown Houston and Sugarland. Now, Bellaire (and Sugarland, for that matter) are all incorporated into the conglomeration that has become the 'Greater Metro Houston area' which encompasses from Conroe to La Port, and from Brookshire to nearly Winnie, TX. Guaranteed, it's a mess!

Good memories, Mike!  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR