I still have a LOT of work to do on my web page, updating descriptions etc, but here you go...

http://www.k6rix.com/kfitower.html

At 09:40 AM 3/10/2008, Dino Darling wrote:
(Please share with your clubs)

It has been almost 3 years and 3 months since the powerhouse KFI tower in Southern CA was destroyed by a small aircraft. The cause of the accident was sun glare and an incorrect setting of the on-board altimeter. After much consideration and re-consideration by the FAA, public hearings with the City of La Mirada, and public outcry by local pilots from the City of Fullerton and the Fullerton Airport; the project has been approved, the permits have been signed, and construction begins!

Since the accident, KFI has had to endure a power reduction of more than 50% into a short top loaded back up tower which has significantly reduced their signal coverage into areas outside of the LA basin. If not for the foresight of former Chief Engineer Marvin Collins, who had the tower top loaded and a new matching network installed, the back-up tower would have reduced their capabilities even more, to approximately 10KW max!

"Steel" (industry slang for the tower sections) should be delivered beginning this week with the "stacking" to begin by the end of the week...hopefully! Today starts the site evaluations and preparation work. The new tower will be about 75' shorter than the original 750' mark. Coming in around 684', the new tower will incorporate a 50' diameter capacity hat and a total of 24 guy wires with torque arms at the top. It will also be lighted with daytime strobes and nighttime red flashing beacons. The strobes will address the pilots major concern of being able to see the tower during daylight hours.

KFI is as excited about the new project as some of us may be. My inside source encourages us to come out and have a look, but asks we remain outside of the construction area and not interfere with the construction crews.

I will be updating my website with more "KFI Tower Construction News" and pictures later today.

73 and God Bless Tall Steel!

Dino - K6RIX
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dino - K6RIX