On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Kim Elmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This discussion just brought back a memory -- When I was preparing for my
> Extra, an Old Guy ham in Tulsa offered to mentor me. and invited me to his
> home with the intent of getting me perfectly ready fro the exam.
>
>  He was an odd character and most of his gear was home-brew and mounted in
> racks. I think he was primarily lonely because we didn't spend much time on
> the exam prep. But, in the course of my visit, he related to me that during
> WWII (for whatever reason, we was not in the military during the war) he
> recalled that hams would do odd things, such as send LF signals down
> railroad tracks and power lines, essentially trying to make QSOs with other
> hams doing the same. He seemed to indicate that it was mainly CW and if he
> went into details about how it was done, I don't recall them.
>
>  Has anyone else ever heard similar stories?

Carrier current I think it was called.  I've read a lot about it in my
old wartime QST's, but don't recall a lot about it now.  Seems they
used inductive coupling to actually feed an AC outlet in the house.
Essentially, they were using the AC freq of 60 cycles to rx and tx on
CW.

Was pretty interesting reading, and one of the few ways they could
legally communicate. I don't know about railroad tracks.  That would
be an entirely different process, since the tracks don't carry any AC.

Brian / wa5am