In today's amateur world, the operator's interest can be the "use of the
AM mode" versus "using vintage equipment that helped developed the AM
mode". I would suspect, there are many amateurs who have no interest in
stepping back in time with receivers that required lots of knob
manipulation or with transmitters that required
peak/dip/load/switch/pray/etc. several times just to QSY around the
bands. Their interest is communicating with quick and non-cumbersome type
operations. The "appliance" provides this flexibility. When I'm in a
hurry to get on the air, the "appliance" is a blessing while the old
"stuff" sits there warming up, warming up, warming up.

Pete, wa2cwa
http://www.manualman.com