Although not an "AM only" type contest, we have:
ARRL Sweepstakes is phone
ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes is phone
ARRL International DX Contest is phone
ARRL June VHF QSO Party is phone
ARRL Field Day is phone
ARRL September VHF QSO Party is phone
ARRL November Sweepstakes is phone
ARRL 160 contest is phone
ARRL 10 Meter Contest is phone

Note: Some of these are also mixed modes at the same time but AM is
phone. There is nothing stopping you from operating AM during any of
these contests.
There's also Heavy Metal night and the Classic Exchange where you can
operate AM. Electric Radio also sponsors Vintage Field Day. I see no
shortage of AM contest activity if one has the desire to participate. Of
course, it's always easier just to "poo poo" the ARRL and what it does or
doesn't embrace 100%.

Pete, wa2cwa
http://www.manualman.com