John, I used an SB 201 behind a Kenwood TS-430 for some years. I didn't have any problems running about 125-150 watts carrier and modulating the Kenwood properly. When I was using it, I didn't have my plate modulated stuff set up because of space limitations. Just be sensitive to tune up and then set the carrier out to be within the parameters of the tubes in the amp. About 125 to 150 is about all you would want to use.

With the Kenwood the thing to watch was setting the carrier low enough to make the collector current advance rather than fall. It was tricky to get the carrier set then set the mic gain to give that meter indication. Do it right and you will have a fine sounding signal.

Jim/W5JO

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lawson"

I have found (and hauled home) a slightly-ailing SB-200 amp that I would like to use on AM... I'll be driving it with an Alinco DX-70 (40W AM/CW), into an ATR-15 tuner, thence by ladder-line out to my "Sort-Of-NVIS Loop", the which system right now tunes 75 Fone down to 1.1:1 very stably and reliably.

Aside from the many pages of mods and tweaks, does anyone have any comments/experiences - good-bad-ugly - ?

My previous AM rig was a Valiant - I've not had a separate amplifier since I sold off all my S-Line gear back in the late 80s.

Thanks in advance for any info or thoughts on the SB-200 in AM service.

Cheers

John KB6SCO