Bob, if I hear you I will talk to you no matter what kind of rig you
use.  I don't care.

Sometimes the problems are that guys get on after work which means
most of us.  So all tune to the 3.870 - 3.890 segment and make a
call.  Sitting in the middle of the country I hear it all the time.
A group in your neighborhood will have a QSO going on and someone
here fires up about 5 PM to call CQ or another local ham on the same
frequency.  I regularly hear up to 6 QSOs between 3.880 and 3.890.
Why do we do that?

Some of it is habit.  Another reason is that those of us who are
Extra wish to talk to those who are General Class and it is the
known gathering area.  But there is no reason we can't move after
making contact.  General class guys can move down to 3.8, so why not
find an empty place and have another QSO going elsewhere, I don't
know.

Some of the guys on this reflector have urged moving to other
segments of the band, particularly 3.6 to 3.7, but no one seems to
follow.  I do hope you will break the mold and not feel that anyone
wants to ostracize you for your equipment.

Jim/W5JO