  From: Thomas Adams
  To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service ; Discussion of AM Radio in
the Amateur Service
  Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [AMRadio] A special day today

  At 03:20 PM 1/19/2009, David Knepper wrote:

    What I still wonder even today is how WRL/Leo Meyerson could make such
death
    traps and get away with it.

  It's my understanding that Leo's designs, tho a bit eclectic, started out OK.
It was his Bean Counters that
  messed 'em up.

    I still have a Galaxy V that when you life up the lid, there is the PA cage
    fully exposed.

  I had a Galaxy V Mk. 2 for a couple of years. Not a bad rig, really...

    What was he thinking?  Could it have been $$$$$ by shaving costs.  No
    interlocks on the "big boy: - the Globe King 500.

  TELL me about it!!!   The cost cutting done on that rig is a crying shame...
it could have been one of the
  GREAT ones. The most grievous cost cutting measure was in the PA and
modulator plate supplies, IMHO.
  They seem to e to be just barely adequate, with PA plate voltage too low;
with another 300 - 500 VDC there
  the PA plate efficiency would be a whole lot better.

  One thing...  Leo's rigs used some FUNNY tubes!

  I have a Globe King 400 that's gonna be restored...   I had one HELL of a
time finding a pair of V-70D finals!

  And the Hytron 5514 modulator tubes (in both rigs)  aren't that common
either...   tho you can modify for
  811As.

    David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA

  Mr. T., W9LBB