Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:49 PM
Subject: [AMRadio] Why KD5CPL hasn't been on the air for six months.

Hello,

My name is Gary Carson.  I am a frequent reader of this reflector.  I participate in 75/80 meter operation several times a month from Oklahoma City (or at least I did).

I have contracted a rare disease known as Transverse Myelitis.  At the present time I have no use of my legs or hands, and very limited use of my arms.  I've also been in the hospital this entire time.  There are several of you that I am used to talking to on a frequent basis and would just like to say hi and I hope that I am able to get back on one of these days.  I hope I don't end up selling my boat anchors over this.  During the initial assessment of the problems I was fitted with an internal pacemaker.  They are not usually compatible with ham radio.  I also have bought in the last few months a transmitter that will be physically too big for me to work on unless I get much better.  I can't make myself sell it yet.  It is capable of being remotely operated, just that I'm not.

I just wanted to let my friends know why I've not been heard from.  I called Jim W5JO yesterday and let him know.  But since my daughter is sitting here taking this as dictation I thought I'd try to go ahead and send something out myself, also.  I hope to get back on the air.  Please feel free to post this on the AMFone if somebody wants to, although I don't know as many of that group as I do this one, or any other AM related site.  I hope this is not the end of my ham career.  It is out of my hands at the present time.

73,

Gary Carson KD5CPL