On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM, VJB <wa3...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I was thinking, however, is the nice sound of a bunch of AM QSOs during
> events like the AM Bandwarming Party and Heavy Metal Rally. And, those times
> on 75m and 10m when conditions were SO good that they deserve a second listen.
>
> We were arrayed politely every 10Kc or so, no complaints from incompatible
> modes, drawing pleasant attention and participation from others wishing to
> take part.
>
> THAT's a classy way to maintain and further AM's presence on any band,
> anywhere.

This is the only way to go IMO. Trying to 'claim' any frequency or
otherwise reserve its use for a specific group not only makes us
guilty of the very thing we complain about the trouble makers doing,
it paints a target on our backs and invites problems. You can say 'but
they're not allowed to legally do that' all day long, it won't change
a thing. It's good to have some idea where to look, even better not to
limit yourself.

I credit the bandwarming party with really sparking much of the AM
activity we now see down on 80m. Go there almost any afternoon and
find 3-5 ongoing AM QSOs spread from 3733 well down below 3700. The
biggest issue there, as well as on 40 or anywhere else, is getting
folks offline and on the air to operate. It seems like most folks want
someone else to start the party so that they can join in at their
leisure and enjoy it.

Remember the first couple months on 80 after the bands opened up,
there was a lot of activity. But once the novelty wore off, many
drifted back to the old ways. Thanks to those who use any open
frequency and avoid the catfights above, 80 has a decent AM contingent
below 3750. Hopefully 40 will see the same rebirth of activity with
the ensuing excitement. A good example of what to expect is the number
of new stations trying AM for the first time, and resulting converts
from those nights we took the time to help them set up their new
ricebox radio for decent AM.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4