From: amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net [mailto:amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net]
On Behalf Of John Coleman
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:18 AM
To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] push pull output XFMRs and neg feedback

Jim:
        Open Loop:
        A square wave input at about 1000 HZ results in a square wave at the
grids of the KT88s.  Both channels appear equal in amplitude at the grids of
the KT88s.  But the output of the 8 ohms tap to the speakers is not a square
wave but is sort of a pointed sine wave. And the good channel has a nearly
twice the peak to peak voltage.

        As inverse feedback is added:
        As the inverse feedback is added, the good channel begins to flatten
out into a square wave and looks pretty good with only a small amount of ring
at the leading edge.  However, When inverse feedback is added to the channel of
question, the wave begins to flatten but goes into sustained ring at the top
and bottom of the square wave.  Adding just a little more FB and it breaks into
oscillation.

        The one thing I haven't checked is switching the speakers.  There may
be some weird thing with the crossover networks making a resonate circuit
there.  It's easier than changing out the output XFMRs.  I could try changing
the KT88s as well.  Now that would be weird!!  Dennis said he thought it could
be a shorted turn in the output XFMR, in spite of NOS, and it is beginning to
look more and more true.

I seem to always find the weird stuff.
I serviced TVs for many years before going into the computer field.  I have met
and talked with many TV techs and not one of them has ever detected or changed
out the main power supply choke in the old tube type sets.  Yet I have found
two in my life that were shorted.  No inductance:  Ripple was the same on both
ends.  So either the others guys just never fixed the ripple in the picture or
they never saw it.

John Coleman, WA5BXO