Should "breakers" *always* be welcome to join in a QSO regardless, or are
there times when it is best not to interrupt an on-going QSO, and when is it
OK for the participants in a QSO to ignore would-be breakers?

One of things I often find annoying when attempting to carry on a contact
near any of the popular AM operating frequencies is the near impossibility
of avoiding a large, cumbersome roundtable.  The band may be completely
devoid of any AM activity for a half-hour or more, but as soon as one
station starts up a QSO with one other, within minutes you can expect the
inevitable breaker wishing to join the conversation. Then another.  And
another.  The more participants in the QSO, the more frequent the breakers,
until a group has developed with 5, 8 or more stations. If the old buzzard
roundtable procedure is observed with a large group, you can count on at
least one participant getting the sequence wrong, per go-round, and someone
often gets left out for one or more rounds. It goes without saying that one
or more the breakers will be piss-weak, and the general rule is the weaker
they are the longer they talk. Before long, each member of the roundtable is
waiting 45 minutes between transmissions, which tends to encourage long
old-buzzard transmissions when one finally does get a turn to transmit. It
is virtually impossible to carry on a simple conversation with one other
station on a topic of interest during prime-time operating hours.

Not that I mind joining in a nice chat with a group of AM stations or having
others join in on a relaxed informal conversation, and maybe attracting a
newcomer or two to the mode. But sometimes I find myself engaged in
conversation with another station on a specific topic of particular interest
to both of us, but then the inevitable breakers enter the QSO without
displaying any interest in the topic of discussion, and before long the
whole conversation is redirected off topic and the original discussion
fizzles before it is allowed to reach a conclusion.  I find this highly
annoying to say the least.

What's the best way to handle this situation?  With CW there is a convenient
pro-sign that specifically tells the other station and only that station to
transmit, and that all others should stand  by until the ongoing
communication is finished.  That pro-sign is KN in lieu of a simple K at the
end of a transmission.  But I know of no corresponding pro-sign for use with
phone.  Is it rude to ignore breakers, or must they always be made to feel
welcome to join any conversation regardless?  One technique when everyone in
the QSO has a strong signal, is to overlap the carriers as one station turns
it over to the other so that there is no pause between transmissions. Some
people say they find that rude, but wouldn't it be equally rude to approach
two or more strangers on the street, and to butt into their conversation
without being invited?

I would suggest listening to the content of the conversation in a QSO before
attempting to break in.  If the participants are discussing a specific
topic, do not attempt to interrupt unless you have something to contribute
to the topic at hand.   Listen carefully, and you will likely hear clues to
whether or not they would welcome others to join.  If there is any doubt,
QSY to a nearby frequency and call CQ, or scan the band for another on-going
QSO that would appear to be more welcoming to breakers.

We will generate more AM presence in the bands with several simultaneous
QSO's with 2 or 3 participants each, than with everyone falling into one
large, boring roundtable with 8 or more stations, each taking their turn to
make a 10-20 minute transmission. On 75m, if 3870-90 is fully occupied,
consider moving "down below" to 3600-3750 or thereabouts, or give 160 or 40
a try.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/