> I was thinking that if something really happened,  I load my family
>into the van and get out of Dodge, not worry about manning my EMCOM
post.

That sort of attitude, while understandable, reflects the "me first"
mode of modern America.  I have a different view:  I don't think it is
in the best interests of everyone, me included, to be selfish.  I
prefer to help my neighbors, even if it puts me in danger at some
point.  There's more to life than just living.

In a very small way, that's why I embark on my various enthusiasms for
causes in the amateur community.  I care about the IARU bandplan,  the
growing environmental noise issue, etc for the sake of everyone
involved.  And I will benefit if we all do.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohns...@aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.